someday ill be in company of all....

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Poison study by Maria V Snyder

Title: Poison Study
Author: Maria V Snyder
Publisher: Mira Books
Pages: 409
Genre: Fantasy
Price: It was a gift
ISBN: 9780778327110
Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Personal

Buy Poison study from Flipkart.com
Buy Poison study from amazon.com

Summary
Yelena grabs a life as a food taster to commander Ambrose over death..But from noose to life isn't bed of roses for Yelana , she is hunted down by commander Brazell to avenge his son's murder (even though Yelana killed his only son Reyand in self defence), she is tracked down by group goons for reasons unknown and above all one lazy day ignoring her work in commander's castle., she would meet her death by the poison butterfly dust in her body..In a world where she can trust none., her loyalty and hard work gains her friends and love..Her choice : a quick death or a slow poison sprints away....
Review
Fantasy is not my kind of genre., it is something I  have always kept away from..I love the romance, I could describe myself as a romantic sucker..I love the happily ever after fairy tales, still I haven't read much of them because I am unable to bear the extent of fantasy and melodrama after few pages..But for me poison study was like a drug to which I got addicted , Once I started it I could't drop it unless I was through and thanks to my weekend night..Yelana is one of those characters I would love to keep her around even after I am done with the novel..She is quick real , she makes mistakes and learns from them, works her way hard to keep her alive and fight her battle.. Her journey from commander Ambrose's dungeon awaiting death to life in castle facing near death situations every now and then was thoroughly entertaining with not much exaggeration..I was wondering how a protagonist as a food taster could have an entire novel., cleverly Snyder weaves her past and the story unwraps slowly with many surprises with many twists and turns.. Inspite of being a fantasy novel not a single instance made me feel unreal and that is the winning stroke of Snyder..Valek is dashing and debonair, commander's right hand , highly skilled assassin and in charge of the security of Ixia is a kind of guy that you can't have enough ..His is loyal to his commander to the core and respects talent and intelligence.. I waited  almost to the end of the novel for to him confess his love to Yelana., even when Yelana had given up her hopes (chuckles !!!).. Of course he does it in the most unusual way..

“Yelena, you’ve driven me crazy. You’ve caused me considerable trouble and I’ve contemplated ending your life twice since I’ve known you.” Valek’s warm breath in my ear sent a shiver down my spine...
“But you’ve slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart.”
“That sounds more like a poison than a person,” was all I could say. His confession had both shocked
and thrilled me...
“Exactly,” Valek replied. “You have poisoned me.”
There is another quote from Valek that I liked..

“Everyone makes choices in life. Some bad, some good. It’s called living, and if you want to bow out,
then go right ahead. But don’t do it halfway. Don’t linger in whiner’s limbo,”


Ari and Janco are two adorable character who keep the story on a lighter tone letting the reader smile time and again ..The palace, life and the code of behavior in Ixia are completely engaging..Yelana a born magician struggles her way with no super heroism..Reyand's ghost (whom Yelana murders in self defense after he uses her for n number of experiments eventually raping her for her disobedience) haunts Yelana to demoralize her was a clever addition by Snyder into the plot.. I would have loved to read more details of Commander Ambrose governance and the state of affair and an elaborate climax ..Still I got to read my happily ever after tale with more trouble for both in the upcoming series, I am sure Valek and Yelana will make it ,every time no matter what..Most of the characters are likable even the commander Ambrose dictator weighs others opinions, is fair and a true leader who follows the code of behavior true to its meaning...This novel has an interesting plot with lovable hero and heroin, what more one could ask for a breezy and a super reading spree??? Have you watched a movie where you come out completely loving it and deeply engrossed with the characters?? still when you ponder upon the plot you might want something to be changed or added here and there...This is the exactly how you would feel reading Poison study...It is best for a midnight read.. Grab your copy and keep going..I would say debut ant Snyder has done a brilliant job and I am reading next two book in the series hand in hand already...

This is my third entry to Jule's new author challenge 2012.. 7 more to go..

1 comment:

  1. Everyone makes choices in life. Some bad, some good. It’s called living, and if you want to bow out,
    then go right ahead. But don’t do it halfway. Don’t linger in whiner’s limbo

    Good quote ..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...